Wednesday, August 4, 2010

First Meal

I just went to the kitchen to start my first meal on the program.  I'm not going to lie, I was scared.  2 scoops of powder doesn't seem like a meal to me, no matter how "nutritionally complete" it is.  I put a scoop of chocolate and a scoop of vanilla into the Magic Bullet blender with ice and water, and got really sad.  "I'm going to be hungry so soon," I thought, and decided that the weight loss was worth the discomfort.  (I'm a breakfast person.  I eat real meals when I wake up every day and then I eat fruit and then I eat again two hours later.  This is a terrifying experience)
The shake tastes good. I am very thankful for that, because there will be two a day for awhile.  It actually tastes really good, and I'm picky.  (The only protein powder I'll use is super expensive because I refuse to take chalky tasting drinks).

Um, about halfway through the shake, though, something amazing happened.  I FELT FULL.  This is sort of crazy, first of all, because I could down 2 grande frappucinos with whipped cream on my way to breakfast any day, and I've had half a glass of this stuff and I don't want to eat anymore.  It's bizarre.
 
The problem is, it was too late to change my mind and only have half a shake, because there are live enzymes in the shake that get activated by water, so once it is made, you can't save it for later (they say to drink it within 10 minutes.)

So I took a little break and went to get the Ionix Supreme (that vitamin and mineral blend that I'm really excited about).  Because my powder version hasn't come in the mail yet, I'm borrowing the liquid version from Duke.  It's this brown liquid with a light syrupy consistency and a very strong scent of ginger.  I'm scared again.  I considered doing the thing where you hold your nose as you drink it.

The bottle says "tastes best poured over ice," and I only have to take a one ounce shot, so I pretend it's medicine and pour some out, using the kitchen scale to get the right amount.

It wasn't as bad as all that. It does taste too much like ginger for me to really enjoy, but it's only one ounce and it's not awful at all, just not delicious either. (I'm the girl who buys the gummy bear vitamins, remember?  I like things that taste GREAT).  And the label on this stuff is really impressive- I've spent hours comparing liquid vitamins and this has really good numbers and really good ingredients.  So I'll deal with it.  Maybe the powder will be better.


Back to the shake.  I had to finish it.  It's really good.  I'm totally surprised.  And I finished it about 25 minutes ago but my body feels that fullness that you get when you stuff yourself with restaurant breakfasts. I am stuffed.  No wonder people can do this as a meal replacement.  Thank God for being full.  My fear has diminished significantly.

Now I get to plan an awesome lunch, and somehow work up an appetite by then.  Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment